A Brief History*
The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge F. & A. M.
Province of Ontario and Jurisdiction
The Union Grand Lodge of New Jersey (PH) established a lodge of Master Masons in Hamilton, Canada West, under the name of Mount Olive Lodge #1. The warrant for this lodge was issued on December 27, 1852. The Grand Lodge of NewJersey warranted two other lodges; Victoria Lodge #2 of St. Catherines received its warrant on June 27, 1853 and Olive Branch Lodge #3 of Windsor received its warrant in October 1854.
On August 25, 1856, these three lodges, Mount Olive #1, Victoria #2 and Olive Branch #3, were called together in Hamilton where they were constituted into Widow's Son Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Ancient York Masons of Canada West.
During the next fifteen years, the Widow's Son Grand Lodge as well as three other American Prince Hall Grand Lodges from Michigan, Illinois and New York, all set up lodges across Canada West in widely scattered areas of Toronto, Owen Sound, London, Chatham, Dresden, Buxton, Shrewsbury and Windsor, all owing allegiance to the various above mentioned Grand Lodges. In 1871, in order to rectify this situation, a call was issued to Prince Hall Lodges working in the newly designated province of Ontario to meet in a convention in Chatham on October 22, 1872. At this meeting the several lodges united to form the Grand Lodge of the Province of Ontario (PH).
In 1958, after various minor changes of name over the preceding approximate hundred years and with the addition of Mount Moriah Lodge #24 of Montreal, Quebec, the words "and Jurisdiction" were added to the title in order to accommodate the addition of the Province of Quebec.
Finally, in 1975, with the universal recognition of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Massachusetts as the founder of all Black Masonry in North America, the name was once again changed to conform with those of our sister Grand Lodges in the United States to:
"The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons Province of Ontario and Jurisdiction."
*“Prince Hall Masonry In Ontario 1852-1933” by Arlie C. Robbins. If you would like to purchase a copy please contact the Grand Secretary at